A caulk gun is an important tool to have handy, and it’s wise to understand how to use sealant gun. You’ll likely find that you use it often to touch up places around your home and that it adds protection and beauty to your spaces.
Caulking is a simple and affordable way to keep unwanted items such as pests and mildew away from your home’s cracks. Sealing off areas such as windows and bathtubs will prevent home invasions such as mould, leaks, and bugs. Also, the less air that passes through, the more energy you’ll save. The process requires a little bit of patience and good aim. Learn how to use a caulk gun, so you’re prepared the next time you want to fix up and enhance your home.
What is A Caulking Gun
A caulking gun is simply a tool that works to seal gaps and cracks in your home. It holds a tube or cartridge that’s filled with the caulk material. It can be made of silicone or latex and can bond a range of materials such as metal, glass, wood, and ceramic. The caulking gun will allow you to press the caulk out of the tube. It also allows you to monitor how much caulk you release at once and to point and aim it exactly where you want it.
How to Use A Caulking Gun & Best Methods of Use
Using a caulking gun is fairly straightforward. However, it would help if you understood the best practises so that you can get a clean line and be satisfied with your caulking job. Learn how to use a sealant gun, so you get the best results.
- Pick up the right tools. For an indoor job someplace exposed to a lot of water, like a bathtub, you’ll want a silicone caulk that acts as a sealant and also repels moisture. For work that won’t see as much water or sunlight, like the baseboards around the basement floor, a latex caulk might be better.
- Get rid of all the old caulk, paint, mould, or rust around the area you’re going to caulk and prepare the area for caulking.
- Load the caulk. Press the release at the rear of the gun with your thumb (releasing the plunger at the back of the gun). Pull the plunger all the way back. Put the tube into the gun, with the nozzle in the front. Push the plunger tightly into the back of the tube, and remove your thumb.
- Cut the tip of the cartridge so that the hole matches the size of the gap you want to fill.
- Push a nail or pin through the hole to puncture any inner seal.
- Start caulking. Hold the gun at a 45-degree angle along the gap you want to seal.
- Squeeze the gun’s handle or trigger slowly while drawing the gun toward you. When you can’t squeeze the handle any more, release it. It will automatically spring back. When it is in its original position, you’re ready to squeeze again.
- You can smooth out the caulk with your finger when you’re done.
How to Clean A Caulking Gun
It’s important that you clean up right away after using a caulking gn. Place the caulk gun in warm soapy water if you have been using latex caulk and wipe the caulk gun down with a soaked rag to remove any water-based sealant. If you were using silicone-based sealant, wipe down the caulk gun with a dry rag to remove the majority of the caulk from the caulk gun.
Use a big, sweeping motion to pull back and peel off the tape. Let the bead of caulk dry without bothering it. In most cases, you can expect it to dry within 24 hours.
Contact us today | Call: 07748 373537